Preview: Shared memory

In version 5 we will be introducing a new supporting data service - shared memory. From a technical standpoint, the shared memory is centralized key-value storage that is physically located in the same repository where data connectors are stored.

If you're not familiar with the concept of key-value storage, you can think of it as a Windows registry where values are stored by a certain path (key).

At this point, there are 4 operations that can be done with the shared memory:

• Remember
  • Recall
  • Forget
  • List

The operations are performed using the new "Shared memory" action. It has 4 respective commands:

Remember

Remember (store) a value by associating it with a key. For instance:
Key is "Date of the last update"
Value is "2021-07-13".

A key can be composite, for instance, "Database\Customers\Date of the last update". Composite keys are separated with a backslash.

Recall

Retrieve the value associated with a key.

Forget

Erase a key and its value from the shared memory.

List

List all keys that start with a given substring, and their associated values.

Use cases

The shared memory can be convenient in many cases:

• Store temporary values - E.g. store the last loaded date when doing incremental loads.
  • Pass values between workflows and users - Similarly to the shared connectors, the shared memory can be accessed from different Desktops. Once a value is remembered, it can be accessed by all Desktops and Server spaces that use the same repository
  • Environment configuration - The shared memory can be used to store configuration settings that are different in PROD and TEST environments.
  • Workflow variable - While project parameters are constant and don't change during a workflow run, the shared memory values can be set, removed, and changed in a single workflow
  • Lightweight data store - Sometimes, using a relational database to store and share just a few values looks like overkill. The shared memory can be more appropriate for such cases.

Features

• Access restriction - the same access restrictions as for data connectors apply
  • Concurrency - the shared memory supports simultaneous operations from different computers
  • EasyMorph data types - values are remembered and recalled in exactly the same data types as in EasyMorph - number, text, boolean, empty value. Errors can't be remembered by design.
  • Big values - you can store large text objects, such as JSON in the store
  • Encryption - all stored data is encrypted
4 Likes

Hi,

Very interesting.
I guess these Keys will be shared over all the projects.
May I suggest to add a few automated attributes, mainly for compliance purpose, like updated date, updating project, updating user, owner. All these attributes in read only mode of course.
And maybe operations like ā€˜Deactivateā€™ that would be like ā€˜Forgetā€™ but keep a track of the value and ā€˜Freezeā€™ to switch it to read only mode, ā€˜Unfreezeā€™ could be done only with the same owner (and from the same project : not sure, too restrictive) . This way a projects supervisor could handle central parameters, environment configuration

Regards

Columns with the last updated time and updating user will be seen in the List mode.

Freezing (locking) is an interesting idea - something to think about.

Further development may include a TTL (time to live) after which a key is erased automatically. This would simplify designing caching strategies.

Another idea is adding queues to the shared memory with the ability to push values into a queue, and pop values from a queue. This would simplify building ā€œconsumer-producerā€ type of automation.

All in all, weā€™re preparing EasyMorph for heavy enterprise use in massively parallel workloads.

With giving a little thougths about it, itā€™s a very powerful feature.
Especially if we consider they can be composite.
But the management of these central parameters could be complex.
Could we have a tab and a toolbar dedicated to the overview of these key values instead of a pop-up view unlike the one for parameters.
As they can be composite, the navigation could be done with a treelist on the left pane and a detail pane on the right like the advanced view for parameters ?

Regards

Yes, we will be adding a tab in the Connector Repository Manager (in Desktop) for browsing the key-value storage and modifying keys and values (if permitted). But not in the very 1st release, a bit later.

Also, we will be adding Server API methods for working with the key-value storage. It will make it possible for external applications to set/update/remove values in the storage remotely and programmatically. For instance, an external system will be able to set/remove a flag to signal EasyMorph projects that they can or can't access the system (e.g. during high load periods or during migration).

Hi,

Shared Memory is really a great concept, I love it.
What will be the limitations and the specs : global size, number of entry, field sizeā€¦

Regards

CVO

Hi Christophe,

Under the hood, itā€™s an encrypted SQLite database, so itā€™s quite permissive. The shared memory can theoretically hold millions of keys with values as big as several megabytes of text each.

The max key length is appr. 260 characters in the URL encoding.

In our tests with rather short text values, the shared memory could process a few hundred requests per second, given small network latency. However, with larger values, the request performance will likely go down due to encryption overhead.

Thatā€™s perfect. I was worrying you made the choice of a storage in JSON or XML file.
So I can store SQL queries without problems.

Yes, storing SQL queries shouldnā€™t be a problem.

Hi Dmitry,

The shared memory is great, I love it.
Is there is a way to edit them manually.
I tried to use dbgate for that (https://dbgate.org/) but as the database is encrypted, it led me nowhere.

Regards

Hi Christophe,

The Connector Manager in Desktop will eventually make it possible to view and edit entries in the Shared Memory. Also, the Server will have a Shared Memory API.

Iā€™m curious what are your use cases for Shared Memory?

I store the metadata of my datasources.
Something like

• server
    • database
      • schema
        • table
          • fields
          • PK
        • FK
          Itā€™s a kind of "meta"datacatalog

I also store all my standards (naming, formats, templates, formulas)

So I can share them over all my EM projects

Perfect! The Shared Memory is intended exactly for cases like that - a shared lightweight data store.

ā€¦ just trying the Shared Memory for the first time ā€¦ how do I flush all entries in the memory eg. all keys under ā€˜Keys\BatchedOrdersā€™? There are 1.200+ entries which seem heavy to delete/FORGET one-by-oneā€¦

Use ā€œListā€ to produce a list of keys to delete and then use iterations to delete them one by one.

Thatā€™s eventually also where I went, but was hoping for a more clean and simple process :grin:

Weā€™re gathering use cases and feedback on the feature. It will keep developing!

1 Like

Now we have a video that explains Shared Memory. It's a video equivalent of the tutorial article on Shared Memory:

2 Likes