Power BI connector / actions

Notice: this article was initially used for closed beta-testing. It’s been edited for public use. The Power BI connector is now available in the official release available at the download page.

Power BI connector

The both Power BI actions in EasyMorph (Export and Command) require a configured and authorized “Power BI” connector. You will need to use a Power BI account to authorize a connector.

Feel free to use the default EasyMorph application, if you haven’t created your organization’s own Power BI app.

Action “Export to Power BI”

The action exports data from EasyMorph into an existing, or new Power BI push-dataset. Under the hood exporting is done by batches of 10K rows. Large datasets can take a few minutes to export. Before exporting, all values in EasyMorph data are automatically validated for possible type mismatching with Power BI data types. Type auto-detection can identify appropriate Power BI data types for exported columns in EasyMorph.

When a dataset is created, it can only be created with one table.

Action “Power BI Command”

This action can perform 3 commands:

• List of available datasets + dataset attributes
  • Delete rows in a dataset table
  • Refresh dataset (only makes sense for non-push datasets)

Please report anything confusing, bugs, problems with Power BI in this topic. Feature suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks!

Any feedback, anyone? :slight_smile:

Hey @dgudkov - I’m starting to test now. Sorry crazy couple weeks.

Emailed you directly on some of the credential things.

Thanks @adambeltz!

Feel free to use the EasyMorph OAuth application (selected by default) in the PowerBI connector. Your published datasets won’t be shared with us or anyone else.

A post was split to a new topic: Error: PowerBI API Error: Failed to process dataset PostDataset

A post was split to a new topic: Feature request for Power BI: search field in the Pick dialog

A post was split to a new topic: Failed to delete a Power BI dataset

**** moved to #uncategorized

Unfortunately here in Natixis it does not work and no logs can explain it, only “an error occurred”. It had barely chance to work with mandatory proxy authentication and the identity federation we use here.

Does publishing datasets work from Power BI Desktop installed on the same machine and run under the same user account as EasyMorph? If yes, can you please send a screenshot of connection settings in Power BI Desktop to our support.

There is no “connection settings” i’m aware of. In Power BI Desktop you just have to “sign in” entering your email and there it goes. There’s a kind of popup appearing with nothing inside, identity federation is doing its job in a transparent way, then you are connected. So yes, publishing works here.

If you know somewhere where I can get Power BI cloud connection information, I can have a look.

A post was split to a new topic: Power BI - Create table if it doesn’t exist

Is there a possibility to use the connector to download data or data sets from PowerBI? Specifically, the usage metrics, which is a standard set of data PowerBI offers.

That sounds like metadata rather than data. As far as I know, it’s not possible to pull out data out of Power BI. Do you happen to have a link to the documentation about such usage metrics?

Hi Dmitry,

we are trying to use the PowerBI API to do so, but it has been very challenging so far. Below the links that we have been using as a guide. I was hoping there would or might be a way to access data sets directly with EasyMorph. The connector shows data sets, and one of the sets is the usage metrics set. It would be immensly powerful for us if one could not only show datasets, but also access them with a connector.

https://www.sqlshack.com/how-to-access-power-bi-rest-apis-programmatically/

Hi dgudkov,
Is it still the case - it can only be create with one table?
I success to create a dataset with one table, and failed to export to create another table in the same dataset.
Thanks.

Yes, it’s still the case. EasyMorph doesn’t create another table in an existing dataset automatically. I would suggest trying to create a new table in the dataset manually via Power BI Service (online). Although, I’m not sure if Power BI Service provides this capability.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Incomplete and failed export to Power BI