Moving tasks between spaces

Hi Dmitry,

Is it possible to move tasks between different spaces on the EasyMorph server?
I have created spaces for our development environment and a spaces for our production environment.
It would be nice that if we set projects into production that we could migrate the tasks from one space to another space on the server.

Kind regards !

Yes, it’s possible.

Every task has an ID. You can see this ID in the URL when you edit task properties.

In the system folder there is an XML file with the same name (see screenshot below). This is the task. You can move this file to the folder of another space.

:warning: Important – don’t copy(!) task files, only move. Because task IDs must be unique even if they are in different spaces. Also, tasks should only be moved when the Server is stopped.

UPDATE
This is no longer true. See my answer below: Moving tasks between spaces - #10 by dgudkov

Hi Dmitry,

Any plans to create the functionality for copying tasks between spaces or even other EasyMorph server instances so that we can easily create the tasks in test and production environments ?
As I understand it, we have to recreate the task in every environment.

Thanks
Nikolaas

Hi Nikolaas,

are your test and production environments of EasyMorph Server on different servers?

Hi,

Curently, we use the same server voor dev, test ,production but our spaces are prefixed with dev_space_XXXX, test_space_XXXX, prod_space_XXXX.

Nikolaas

Hi Dmitry,

If I am well informed, when V5.0 arrives, it would be possible to copy tasks between spaces ?
Could the ems-cmd be extended so that we can define tasks via een script. We could then recreate all tasks defined in the script on our development, test and production instance.

That would be really practical.

If not, is there a workaround that we can program to make this possible ?

Thanks !
Nikolaas

Hi Dmitry,

We have to change a lot of our EasyMorph files which will impact the tasks on our server.
We would like to create a separate space and copy all our tasks to that space so that we can test the modified flows.

Can we do this as follows without breaking our server and other spaces:

• Copy the task XML-files to our local pc.
  • Modify the filename with another global unique identifier.
  • Copy the files back to our test space on EM-server.
  • After testing, delete the test space.

Could this work ?

Thanks
Nikolaas

The following may work:

• Clone the space folder and all files in it
  • Rename all .XML files in the cloned folder to unique names AND change the GUIDs in the XML files accordingly
  • Restart Server

As a result, a cloned copy of space will be created.

UPDATE
See my reply below: Moving tasks between spaces - #10 by dgudkov

Would also like to request an option to copy tasks between spaces. We also have version-controlled spaces, one for dev, one for prod. And it loses some of the testing value when we have to manually recreate the task in the production space after testing is complete. Especially with complex multipurpose jobs that have 40+ setup parameters

UPDATE

Tasks (i.e. their XML files) can be copied between spaces without changes. A task should have a unique ID only within a space. Two tasks in two spaces can have the same ID.

After you have copied the XML files or checked them out from git, reload the space by clicking the reload button (see below).

Reloading space is the only operation that has to be done manually. Later, we will automate it too in the future “EasyMorph Server Admin Command” action.