"Movable License"

I have multiple machines and I want to be able to use EM on all of them but don’t want to have eat 3 licenses and have 3 separate users. I would like to be able to “move” the license to whatever machine I am currently using (Desktop for pure development, laptop for remote dev, tablet for User Acceptance Testing and ad-hoc bug fixing) as my “current” system.

Is this currently possible? If not, requesting this feature.

Thanks,

Keith

1 Like

I asked something similar. It would be great for Server user to have a licence pool on the server and people log to server to activate licence.

EasyMorph Server can now have a pool of (dynamic) user licenses that can be assigned, de-assigned, and transferred by the Server administrator. Read about leasing licenses for Desktop users in the Server Admin Guide, page 15. Also here are the instructions on how to set it up in EasyMorph Desktop.

If you have EasyMorph Server and would like to switch to dynamic licensing, please contact our support.

When I think about licensing I think about two types

“Named” licenses = licenses assigned to a specific user and administered by an admin manually
“Dynamic” licenses = licenses that are “loaned” to an active logged on user and then returned automatically to a pool of available licenses. While the user would still need to be defined within the server, an available “dynamic” license would be assigned automatically from a pool for a configurable time period (say 4 hours by default) or the user “returned the license” either by clicking a link/button or by exiting the EM desktop. This would help with greater adoption of EM within the enterprise and potentially increase the amount of “Named” licenses required based upon availability. Some of our users only need to use EM once or twice a month and because the license needs to be assigned to them. This does not allow for the “dynamic” nature I was suggesting.

I’ve seen software companies experiment with such licensing model but in the end it didn’t work out. The reason – the model introduces contradicting incentives. You may think that there always should be a pool of available licenses but in reality it doesn’t happen. The procurement wants to have as few “re-usable” licenses as possible to optimize expenses, which is understandable. However the fewer licenses are available, the more users “compete” for them, which inevitably leads to cases when licenses are unavailable when needed. As a result, nobody is happy.

For those who only need licenses once or twice a month, I would suggest using the free edition. It works with EasyMorph Server, and allows up to 20 actions per project, enough for someone who is not a regular user.

Alternatively, people can just run EasyMorph Server tasks from a web browser. No license is required for that.