Password parameter

Hi,

In some cases, we use command line tools such as powershell to run a script. If we have to pass credentials in such a script, we have to pass them in clear text.

It would be nice if EasyMorph would have a password parameter so that passwords are masked.

Use case: we want to backup powerBI datasets in our powerBI online workspace with a powershell script. To pass authentication, we will have to pass credentials. If we could use the powershell script in EasyMorph and pass the credentials via a password parameter, it would be more secure.

We also had another case in which we had to connect to FTPS (not supported by EasyMorph) and we had to use WinSCP to make a connection via the command line.

Any thoughts about this ?

Thanks
Nikolaas

I use Securestring for similar purpose, also it can be stored in file and read from file too.

$password = "Pa$$W0rd"
$securedPassword = $password | ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force
$tousepassword = $securedPassword | ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force | ConvertFrom-SecureString
$password
$securedPassword
$tousepassword

That's a good question. What do you think such a password parameter could protect from? If someone gets access to the project, there are multiple ways how a parameter value can be extracted. For instance, if it's a calculated command line, then the expression can be modified to send the result into a text file. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm trying to understand how it might work and what problem it can solve.

Hi

Yes that's true. The value of the parameter should not be saved in the project itself but maybe it should be saved in the connector repository so that it is not committed to a GIT repo.

Kind regards
Nikolaas

In this case, you can use Shared Memory. Save the password into Shared Memory and then extract it using a key stored in the project.

1 Like

Yes that is an option indeed.