Oracle TNS connection : need ldap server?

For Oracle TNS connection, easymorph is asking for a LDAP Server. I don’t know why and other tools juste use my “tnsnames.ora” file. Is this mandatory for easymorph to have this ldap server ?

EasyMorph comes with a native Oracle driver made by Oracle. It could be the the driver is asking for something. EasyMorph doesn’t request a LDAP connection or anything related to LDAP at all. Typically, having right system variables (such as ORAHOME) is sufficient to work with TNS.

Can you attach a screenshot?

My sqlnet.ora contains :
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(LDAP,TNSNAMES)

It means if i understand that it must first try ldap then tnsnames if failure. When i use other software like SQL Developer or BI tools, i have no problem with oracle client.

It’s not immediately clear why the driver behaves like that. EasyMorph is requesting a list of table names from the driver using a regular SQL query. It doesn’t look at sqlnet.ora or anything else Oracle-specific.

Keep in mind that EasyMorph is a user space application running under your user account, not a system-wide application running under an administrator account. Your user account might not have necessary permissions for the driver.

You can also try setting up a TNS ODBC connection (64-bit) and use it from EasyMorph as an ODBC connection, instead of a native one. A system ODBC connection would run in the system space.

Ok, quite strange

If i put :NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES)
without LDAP, it’s working, good to know

Hi,

EasyMorph uses ODP.NET, Managed Driver and it seems that it resolves TNS a little bit differently than drivers, used in SQL Developer and other BI tools. Managed Driver fails when NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH setting starts with LDAP but there is no proper configuration for an LDAP service.

The workaround here is to remove LDAP from NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH, as you have already established.

2 Likes