Import from Power BI dropping rows

Have been testing out the new "Import from Power BI" Action.
This feature is quite impressive - I'm not sure if even Microsoft offers something like this.

Although while testing I found that for some tables EasyMorph (or powerbi.com) was dropping some rows depending on the table.
I am comparing by pasting in rows from the Power BI Desktop "Data" viewer (right-click table name and select "Copy Table" and then paste into EasyMorph).

For example, I loaded a table with 31 columns X 16,411 rows and 15,303 rows were imported.
I was able to analyze the deltas (by pasting in the table from Power BI Desktop) and the missing rows are scattered throughout the table and I don't see any obvious pattern.

I tried three other tables and two were fine (although small tables), but a larger table with 190,752 rows only allowed me to import 49,832 rows.

The data is confidential so I cannot upload it here - but if you are not able to repro this issue then I may be able to scramble the data if need be.

Not sure if there is a row count you can query to validate all rows were retrieved?
There may be a limit to the number of rows that can be fetched - which I'm okay with - but would be good to know if any rows are dropped.

Looking into the potential causes of the problem.

Can you please confirm that there are no row-level security rules enforced for the table for the account that was authorized in the Power BI connector in EasyMorph?

One more question @costie : Could it be possible that the table was being modified by some other process while being read by EasyMorph?

Our internal process relies on DAX query offset/limit pagination, implemented using the DAX TOPNSKIP function. Since this method doesn't provide a 'true' pagination token, it is susceptible to alterations. Specifically, if rows are deleted or inserted into the previous 'pages' during the EasyMorph read operation, this can offset the subsequent pages, leading to what appears as missing data.

To answer your questions:

1. No RLS is used for this Semantic Model
  2. The model was not being updated while being refreshed

Following on to this, the model was published in 2022.
I thought the issue might have something to do with an older version of Power BI.
So here is what I did:

1. Installed latest version of Power BI (2.135.7627.0, 64-bit August 2024)
  2. Took a copy of the .pbix and renamed it
  3. Refreshed the data and re-saved the new .pbix
  4. Published back to app.powerbi.com

I then performed the same tasks in EasyMorph and was able to reproduce the issue on both tables.
All the row counts were exactly the same as before.

If you're not able to reproduce on your end I may be able to scramble the data or jump on a Teams call to show you on screen share.

1 Like

Hi @costie

Thank you for investing such an effort to the issue investigation.

I've sent you a PM

1 Like

Can confirm the issue has been resolved in the debug build. :slightly_smiling_face:

Look forward to seeing this in the next release.
Thank you again!

The issue has been fixed. Please install the updated version from our website.

1 Like

Thank you.
Just downloaded, installed, and tested again.
Can confirm issue has been resolved in version 5.8.0.14. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes