About EasyMorph Tutorials & Examples Web-help

Export To Database Command Text Field Limited To 255 Characters

Hi,

I am trying to run a project that exports a table from Excel to a table in MSSQL. I am using the inbuilt table creation in the EasyMorph Export to Database Command transformation.

EasyMorph correctly identifies datatypes but, for text, the length of field is limited to 255 and there doesn't seem to be a way around it within EasyMorph itself.

I have found a work around which is to create the table via EasyMorph, then go into SQL Server Management Studio, Switch to the tables design mode, and alter the length. I then go back into EasyMorph and set the behaviour to keep the table and delete the data.

We have many users now using EasyMorph - Not all of them have the ability to alter the tables in SSMS.

Is there a way of changing the text length from within EasyMorph?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

in the EasyMorph installation directory there is a file named DataTypesMap.xml. This file contains default data types for different databases types. You can alter it to using, say, NVARCHAR(512) as the default type for text fields.

Thanks Dmitri,

Could I therefore raise as a feature request being able to do this within the GUI on a field-by-field basis? i.e. having field set as 255 by default (but showing the length next to the TEXT title), and if the TEXT tile is clicked, a dialog pops up with the facility of altering the length?

We have a number of users that are not tech savvy, plus field lengths above 255 are an exception to the rule so, it would not be good practice to increase this as a default..

Thanks,

Daniel

Advanced data types for database table creation is already on our product roadmap. It won't appear in versions 3.6 and 3.7 though. Probably, closer to 3.8. We definitely will have it implemented -- it's an important feature.