CSViewer performance

Hi everyone,

I'm an owner of EasyQlik QViewer, I installed and tried CSViewer, but the first big difference is that it’s very slow to load QVD files compared with EasyQlik QViewer; is it normal or am I wrong in something?

For example:

• on CSViewer there is only the possibility to "import" a file qvd and not just open it?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Fabrizio and welcome to the Community!

... but the first big difference is that it’s very slow to load QVD files compared with EasyQlik QViewer

That shouldn't be so. Actually, CSViewer should loads QVDs faster than CSViewer as it's more optimized under the hood. Can you provide more details about the QVD file - its size, number of rows/columns, and also about the difference in load time - how long does it take in CSViewer and how long in QViewer? Also, does the difference remain if you load the file in CSViewer first, and then in QViewer?

on CSViewer there is only the possibility to "import" a file qvd and not just open it?

Both applications are intended for viewing files. What do you mean by "importing"?

Hi, thank you for replying.

I said "import" because I have only these options in the main screen:

About loading, if I open the file SalesOrders.qvd (right mouse click and option "Open with...") with EasyQlik it takes about 1 second (!):

If I open the file with CSViewer it takes more than 30 seconds:

Maybe am I wrong with same configuration parameters?

OK, I see that the file has 4.7 million records. Can you please answer the other questions:

What's the QVD file size (in megabytes)?

How many columns does the table have?

Is it possible that after loading the QVD file in QViewer your computer doesn't have enough free memory to also load the file in CSViewer while it stays open in QViewer? If you open the file in CSViewer and your computer is running out of memory, then Windows will start swapping memory to disk and it can be a very long operation.

The apps are very similar in the way they handle QVD files, so load times should be very similar in both apps. The 30 second load time doesn't look right.

What's the QVD file size (in megabytes)?

818 about, so a huge file

How many columns does the table have?

Is it possible that after loading the QVD file in QViewer your computer doesn't have enough free memory to also load the file in CSViewer while it stays open in QViewer? If you open the file in CSViewer and your computer is running out of memory, then Windows will start swapping memory to disk and it can be a very long operation.

It's not my computer, it's the Qlik server, so well capable as memory. I tried to open first CSViewer but no difference, always more than 30 seconds.

I'm trying also other files; with big files there is so difference in time between CSViewer and EasyQlik.
EasyQlik is really fast!

It's very strange.

Thanks for the details. We're investigating what could cause the problem.

To you.

Another issue:

• I have a table that with CSViewer I got an error, but don't know why (there is no additional info):

• instead no problem with EasyQlik:

But it's a normal table, 45 fields, no particular types of field:

Hi @BonFab,

If possible, could you please send the problematic file to our support email, support@easymorph.com, so we can reproduce the issue?

It turns out the problem was caused by one of the floating point values in the QVD being NaN instead of a valid number. We're working on a fix that will support such cases.

Also, the updated version will load QVDs significantly faster.

I'll let you know when it's available - it shouldn't take long.

Correct, data come from a postrgres database, so "NaN" is possibile.

Thank you so far, I'll be happy to test the new version...

I am having the same issue. Like to be on the list when this is fixed. Thank you.

@Martha_P We will let you know!

The new version of CSViewer is now available. You can download v2.4 from the website. In the new version:

• QVD files load much faster
  • The problem with NaN values has been fixed
  • Search in filters is now case-insensitive

Hi @dgudkov ,

just installed and tried my two issues, they are solved!
It last just 8 seconds to load the big table and no problem with the NaN values with the other table.

Great job, thank you!
I think I can pass to CSViewer...

Perfect! Thanks for the heads up.