Best approach to automating tasks

Hello, we have a few data prep tasks that we need to automate prior to ingestion into our data warehouse (at the moment only 4 or 5).I’m trying to find the best way to make this work with Easymorph. At the moment I believe the options are:

1. installing Easymorph Pro on a VM that is logged in permanently and run tasks on a schedule - is this actually doable?
  2. using Windows Task Manager on the server to run tasks from the command line
  3. Easymorph Pro + Easymorph Server - but this does seem a little expensive for running just a few jobs each day

Could you please give me some pointers as to the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Hello Paul and welcome to the Community!

Answering your questions:

installing Easymorph Pro on a VM that is logged in permanently and run tasks on a schedule - is this actually doable?

It is surely doable and many our customers do that using EasyMorph Launcher, a complementary scheduling utility that comes with EasyMorph Desktop. The upside - the utility is free and has many scheduling options. The downside is that it's not very robust. A user must be logged in permanently, no logging or automated failure notifications (although, task failures in Launcher show up as Windows 10 notifications). See this page for a full comparison: EasyMorph | Launcher: Workflow scheduling

using Windows Task Manager on the server to run tasks from the command line

This is a more robust option as Windows Task Manager runs as a Windows service, and it also comes at no additional cost. The downside is probably that it's not so user friendly, but I guess it's a matter of taste. Also, the option lacks automated email notifications.

Easymorph Pro + Easymorph Server - but this does seem a little expensive for running just a few jobs each day

EasyMorph Server runs projects created in both Professional and free editions of EasyMorph Desktop. It comes at an extra cost, but is the most robust and production-ready option for scheduling. The Server is designed for unattended use, so it comes with logging, mail notifications, and integration capabilities that can be used to trigger Server tasks from external applications.

Dmitry, very useful answer, thank you very much!

You’re welcome! :slight_smile: