Autodocumentation

Dear,

Is it possible in the desktop versions to configure the autodocumentation ?

For example, say that I want to configure that autodocumentation in HTML is generated after an ETL process has run. Is this possible or do we have to push the generate button manually ?
Can we also have a unique URL to the HTML after each iteration of the ETL-process or is this only available in the server edition?

Kind regards

Autodocumentation can be generated from the command line:

morph.exe /c /document myproject.morph

See more details in the web-help: Command line options.

The desktop version doesn't have a built-in web-server. Only the server edition does. Auto-documentation on the Server has a permanent URL for each task/project. This URL can be used from external applications.

I have tried your solution but I think I am doing something wronge.

When I open my MS DOS command prompt and I navigate to the directory where my project is located and then execute the command:

morph.exe /c /document myproject.morph

it does not work. The command prompt says that morph.exe is not recognised as a program

What am I doing wrong?

It is because morph.exe is not found in the directory where the project is located.

You need to either add the path to morph.exe to the system PATH variable, or use the full path to morph.exe while in the project directory, e.g.

"C:\Users\reynsnivea\AppData\Local\EasyMorph\morph.exe" /c /document myproject.morph

Thanks !

Could you also provide an example that is more generic in the sense that it can be copied over to other projects.
I mean that I should be able to write the documentation to a directory of choice and extract the path of the easymorph file that is autodocumented. I do not know if it is possible in easymorph to find the folder path in which the easymorph in which I am currently working resides.

Also, I would like to the same thing for creating log files.

The documentation is always written in the same directory as the .morph project it's been generated on. Just copy the auto-documentation HTML file to a directory of choice after it was generated.

It is possible, see the system function.

Log files also are created in the project directory. Copy them to a destination of choice, if needed.

Hi Dmitry,

I was testing the autodocumentation function using the suggested command line mode.

I have an easyMorph project in which I iterate over a list of easyMorph files. I pass them as parameter values to another project in which I have a single “run program transformation”. In that transformation I have pasted something like:

“C:\Users\reynsnivea\AppData\Local\EasyMorph\morph.exe” /c /document {easymorph_project}

I see the documentation is generated but it also executes the easymorph projects ! Also when I paste this in my cmd prompt, it executes the easyMorph project. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

We will disable running projects when only documentation is requested in version 3.8.2.

UPDATE
It’s sufficient to just use the /document command to only generate documentation without running the project. Therefore, the correct syntax is

morph.exe /document {easymorph_project}

This feature already works, so no changes required. The web-help contained incorrect description and has been edited.

Dmitry,

Thanks, I will check it out !

Kind regards

Hi dmitry,

This works !

I have a project that loops over morph-files generates the documentation and moves the resulting HTML to a folder.

Is there a way to move a bunch of files in a folder in 1 transformation. Now, I have used the file command by iterating over a table of files names. Is there an option to avoid the iteration step ?

Kind regards

I’ve answered in a separate topic as this question is general and not about documentation: Copying multiple files without iterations

Hi Dmitry,

On the server we have the built-in autodocumentation feature. That’s great but when we use a single easyMorph project to execute different subprojects, only the global documentation of the single EasyMorph project is visible.

Therefore I would like to make a project that generates all documentation for all morph files on our server.
We do not have a EasyMorph desktop license on the server (we work via a network share and with virtual desktops ion which EasyMorph desktop is installed).

Is it also possible to use the run program action to generate autodocumentation but not with the executable of the desktop version but with an executable of the server if such exists?

What’s your advise on this ? It’s not realy worthy to buy another license just do achieve that…

Kind regards !

EasyMorph Server works as a Windows service. It's not possible to run it as a command-line application.

I would do it by running a project from a desktop machine. Use the "EasyMorph Server Command" action to obtain a list all .morph projects on the Server and copy them from the Server to a desktop. Then generate the documentation locally on the Desktop, running another instance of EasyMorph from the command line. Then use "EM Server Command" again to upload the generated HTML documentation to the Server.

Ok thanks, I shall try this solution. Thanks !

Hi Dmitry,

I have managed to achieve the suggested solution but it was a bit easier because we have shared our drive on the server with our workstations. The problem is that I cannot schedule it to run on the server so I have to run it manually from time to time i guess ?

Are there any plans to generate documentation on the server if a morph-file calls other morph files ?
It would be nice to have such a feature.

Kind regards,
Nikolaas

You can schedule it with the EasyMorph Scheduler or using the Windows Task Scheduler on your local machine.

It would be nice to have it for sure, but there are no plans to have it done anytime soon so far as we're busy with more critical things.

In v4.7 we’ve added the “Generate documentation” action which generates the HTML documentation of the specified project.