New action : explicit confirmation

Hi,

I don’t think it exists so I post it here : why not a new action that stops the following actions and requests a confirmation from user. You could name it “Wait User Action” or something like that ? There is already a wait action that waits a few seconds. Here it’s just waiting user to click on run action. If you have for example a sensitive job and you want to run things only after checks, it’s good to have this kind of thing.

That’s an interesting suggestion. What do you think should happen if a project with this action is run on schedule in Launcher or on Server?

That’s an interesting answer ! 3 “hard” ways to answer :

• You block tasks using this kind of project
  • It infinitely wait, well not such a good solution, but logic
  • It goes through without waiting
    It could be an option in the action properties like “What is the behaviour during automatic run ?” fail, don’t wait …

Dimitri,

Did you ever give this any further thought? We have a situation where this would be very useful to have a “user input action” where the process does not run until the user specifically runs it.

This action would only be used local, and never on the server.

Hi Tanner,

Is “user input” just a pause? Kind of “press any key to continue”?

Hi Dmitry,

I can think of a couple of use cases, but I think it is more of an action to allow human validation and parameter setting:

1. EM project is sampling potential PII data in databases in an iterative fashion. At each iteration, it would present the user with the sample data sets and then have an action for the user to set a parameter. In this example, the parameter would be Y/N and then passed on to a DELETE action in this case.
  2. EM project returns results (suggested column mappings in our case) to user. User validates and sets Y/N parameter again. Y updates mapping database, N sends the results to a different process for suggested mappings to be corrected and sent back to ML model.

These are simple examples, but two I could use today. Perhaps others have similar needs.

Thanks.

Hi Casey,

I have an idea. Do you use Teams or Slack internally?

Exactly like a pause or “press any key to continue”

Taking it a step further, the step could prompt for the user to select which path a flow follows. Selecting one path would continue the project, another path would send you to a different part of the project.

Like Casey mentioned above, it allows time for validation and parameter setting/altering at a predetermined point.

We use teams internally

@Tanner.Hart @jcaseyadams

We can quickly add an action (let’s call it “Stop/go”) that would stop project execution when reached. However, if the user presses “Run project” again, it will continue calculation from that action on (until another such action is encountered).

As a user input, add an action right after “Stop/go”, that the user has to modify – e.g. “Filter” (to select from a list of values), or “Calculate new column” (to enter an arbitrary value).

Would that work for you?

Such an action can be added in version 5.1 to be released by the end of next week. It will only work in EasyMorph Desktop. Server and Launcher will ignore it.

Anything more complex than that would take significantly more time to develop and will interfere with our short-term product roadmap.

2 Likes

This “Stop/Go” Action would be perfect!

Thank you so much for your help here Dmitry!

I like it like that !

UPDATE

The action name will be “Breakpoint” and it will be available in v5.1 planned for release on the next weekend.

5 Likes

Hi Dmitry,
will this Desktop version v5.1 work with server version 5.0 or - if not - is a server version 5.1 planned for this weekend, too?
We would like to upgrade out server to the latest version this weekend.

1 Like

Server 5.1 will also be released this weekend. You will be able to upgrade Server and Desktops.

2 Likes

I was expecting this kind of feature for a while.

Seems, that you have not releases both versions this weekend. Will they come soon?

We need couple more days to polish things.

Ok. Thanks for information. We will then upgrade to v.5.0 first.

Version 5.1 is out. Meet the Breakpoint action :slight_smile:

1 Like