Ideas for generating random password strings?

Does anyone have ideas/input to auto-generate random password strings with upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and special characters (8-10 characters in total)?

I know it’s possible to do something along those lines by combining different functions, but it seems a bit involved - and less intuitive - compared to the 4 lines of python code I normally use for this.

I know it’s possible to call a python script (or another program) and capture the output, but I am trying to “stay clean” as much as possible in this implementation.

Thank you in advance.
/Jan

Hello Jan,

Here is a small EasyMorph project that generates a random alphanumeric string of a specified length. It uses a PowerShell script to generate a string. That script can be easily modified to include special characters to the generated strings.

GenerateRandomString.morph (3.1 KB)

Also, you can try to use the following expressions to generate random strings:
hash(random())

1 Like

Here is another approach, without PowerShell scripting. Generates random strings of any length with any character set.

generate-password.morph (2.4 KB)

@andrew.rybka @dgudkov
Thank you both for taking the time to look into this. I will check out both approaches.

@dgudkov these “challenges” appears to be like EasyMorp-sudoku for you :slight_smile:
/Jan

I'm curious to find cases that cannot be handled in EasyMorph. I have to admit, this can be addictive sometimes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @dgudkov

Is it possible to generate a random string of only alphanumeric ASCII characters? The string with any symbols.

Thanks,
Aatash

It’s sure possible! Here is the updated project. Tick checkboxes to select only the character groups you need:

• Latin letters
  • Digits
  • Special characters

generate-password.morph (8.3 KB)

Thank you @dgudkov. I guess I have to iterate on the table to get values for each row.

The module returns a randomized string. You can iterate the module multiple times if multiple random strings are needed.